The privacy of your personal information is afforded the highest level of importance by the Codan Group
of Companies (Codan Group), comprising Codan Limited (ACN 007 590 605) and each of its controlled
The Codan Group is bound by the Privacy Act 1988 (Cth) (Act) regarding the manner in which we handle
your personal information, and we will strictly comply with all relevant legislative requirements.
you and we have in relation to your personal information. In the event of any inconsistency, the legislative
requirements will override the provisions of this document.
What kinds of personal information do we collect?
The kinds of personal information that we collect and hold include:
- your contact information, including postal and residential addresses, telephone and facsimile
numbers, and email addresses;
- details of the make and model of any product you purchase from us;
- data relating to your activity on our websites via tracking technologies such as cookies;
- details of any survey responses you provide;
- bank account and tax file details; and
- for job applicants or staff, employment history, educational qualifications, reference checks,
payroll information and medical information (where relevant).
How do we collect and hold personal information?
We will only collect personal information where it is reasonably necessary to do so for the conduct of our
business. Any collection of personal information by us will be fair and lawful and will not be intrusive.
We will collect personal information about you in the following ways:
- if you provide your information by telephone, post, email or facsimile, or in person (such as at
industry events and Trade Shows);
- if you contact us via email or submit your information through one of our websites; and/or
- if you purchase products from us, or require us to provide services to you.
If it is reasonable and practical to do so, we will collect personal information about you only from you. In
the course of operating our business, however, we may collect personal information from third parties
such as suppliers, advertisers, mailing lists, recruitment agencies, contractors and business partners.
If we collect personal information about you from a third party we will, where appropriate, request that the
third party inform you that we are holding such information, how we will use and disclose it, and that you
may contact us to gain access to and correct and update the information.
When we collect personal information from you, we will take reasonable steps to notify you or ensure you
are aware of:
- the Codan Group entity which is collecting your personal information, and their contact details;
- that we have collected your personal information, and whether that collection is required or
authorised by law;
- the purposes of collection;
- the consequences if personal information is not collected (such as if this will affect our ability to
provide products or services to you);
- our usual disclosures of personal information of the kind collected;
- whether we are likely to disclose personal information to overseas recipients, and if practicable,
the relevant countries in which they are located.
How do we hold personal information?
We will hold personal information as either physical records, records on our servers, and in some cases,
records on third party servers, which may be located overseas.
We take active steps to hold all hard copy and electronic records of personal information in a secure
manner to ensure that they are protected from misuse, interference and loss, and unauthorised access,
modification or disclosure.
We have procedures in place to destroy or de-identify personal information once it is no longer needed for
a valid purpose or required to be kept by law.
Purposes for which we collect, hold, use and disclose personal information
In general, members of the Codan Group will collect, hold, use and disclose personal information for the
purposes of providing or offering goods and services to you.
By providing us with your personal information, you consent to us using and disclosing your personal
information for the following purposes:
- providing you with news and information about our products and services.
- sending you marketing and promotional material that we believe you may be interested in, either
from any of our related entities or a third party business which we consider may be of interest to
- personalising your experience with our products and services, for example, via connectivity with
social media services.
- conducting competitions or promotions on behalf of us and selected third parties.
- for job applicants, assessing your eligibility for employment within the Codan Group.
You may opt out of receiving marketing and promotional material from the Codan Group at any time by
contacting our .
There may be circumstances in which we are authorised or required by law to use or disclose your
personal information. For instance:
- A number of laws require the provision of personal information to third parties, including the
Corporations Act 2001 (Cth). The precise information required to be provided will vary depending
on the circumstances requiring disclosure of that information.
- We may also use or disclose personal information about you to avoid, lessen or prevent a serious
emergency or crime. If we use or disclose personal information about you in those circumstances
we will make a written record of such use or disclosure.
We may disclose personal information between our related bodies corporate or to third parties such as
our suppliers, organisations that provide us with technical and support services, or our professional
advisors, where permitted by the Privacy Act.
Any disclosure that is required to be made to any third party will be made primarily for the purpose of
providing or offering goods and services to you. If we disclose information to a third party, we generally
require that the third party protect your information to the same extent that we do.
How can you access your personal information?
You have a right to request access to your personal information and to request its correction if it is out of
date or incorrect.
You may request access or correction at any time by sending a written request to our .
You do not need to provide a reason for your request for access to your personal information. We may
charge a small fee for providing access to your personal information if it requires a significant amount of
time to locate or collect your information or to present it in an appropriate form. We will not charge you to
correct your personal information that we hold in our records.
We will respond to all requests for access to or correction of personal information within a reasonable
Please note there may be circumstances in which we are not able to provide you with access to your
information, such as where the requested access will have an unreasonable impact upon the privacy of
others or where we are required by law to withhold the information. If we are unable to provide you with
access to your information, or make the amendments which you have requested, we will provide you with
reasons for this decision.
If you believe that we may have breached the Australian Privacy Principles, or failed to comply with this
policy, you may direct your complaint to our .
We take all complaints seriously, and will respond to your complaint within a reasonable period.
If you are dissatisfied with the handling of your complaint, you may contact the Office of the Australian
- Office of the Australian Information Commissioner
- GPO Box 5218
- Sydney NSW 2001
- Telephone: 1300 363 992
- Email: email@example.com
Cross Border Disclosures of Information
The Codan Group may disclose personal information between its related bodies corporate, where
permitted under the Privacy Act.
The Codan Group currently operates out of offices in Australia, Canada, England, Ireland, the United
Arab Emirates and the United States of America. We therefore may disclose personal information to
recipients in these countries.
other overseas recipients. If in future we do propose to disclose personal information overseas, we will
do so in compliance with the requirements of the Privacy Act. We will, where practicable, advise you of
the countries in which any overseas recipients are likely to be located.
By providing your personal information to us, you consent to us disclosing your personal information to
any such overseas recipients for purposes necessary or useful in the course of operating our business,
and agree that APP 8.1 will not apply to such disclosures. For the avoidance of doubt, in the event that
an overseas recipient breaches the Australian Privacy Principles, that entity will not be bound by, and you
will not be able seek redress under, the Act.
If you do not want us to disclose your information to overseas recipients, please let us know.
Where practicable, we are required to provide the option for you to deal with us anonymously or under a
pseudonym. This option will not be available where we are required or authorised by law to deal with
individuals who have identified themselves, or if we need to verify your identity in order to provide
products or services to you.
you as to whether there have been updates since your last visit to our website.
Our Privacy Officer can be contacted as follows:
- Privacy Officer
- Codan Limited
- Technology Park
- 2 Second Avenue
- Mawson Lakes SA 5095
- Telephone: +618 8305 0311 Facsimile: +618 8305 0411 firstname.lastname@example.org